lkj

27 November 2012

R's vegetable soup


Remember how I was craving 'winter food'? Turns out R had the same idea, so when he suggested making vegetable soup for dinner tonight I was 200% on board. We popped into the veg shop on our way home - we'd never been before and were completely blown away by how inexpensive everything was. All the ingredients for this soup cost us just over £2!! So, so good. We'll definitely be making that a part of our routine! It's nice to support independent local businesses as well, especially when they help us save money on our food bill!

R served it with cheese on toast - I've never eaten soup with cheese on toast before, but it was absolutely gorgeous. A new favourite combination. We'll probably we eating it for the next few days - but I really, really don't mind. Soup is definitely going to be made a bit more often in this house!

For those of you who are interested - R just chopped all the veg & put it in a saucepan with the stock. He left it on for about 1/2 - 3/4 of an hour & then blended it. We would have added herbs... but we didn't have any!

Ingredients

3 parsnips
4 carrots
3 cloves of garlic
2 potatoes
1 leek
3 stock cubes
Cornflour
Salt & pepper to taste

Do you have a favourite soup recipe? I'd LOVE to try it out, please share!! 

6 comments:

  1. Pumpkin soup!!
    My improvised recipe,
    Half a medium pumpkin, or one small one, what ever.
    1 red pepper
    Half a red onion
    Big ol' table spoon of creme freche, maybe 2, depending on how creamy you like soup.
    Half a teaspoon of Coriander
    Half a teaspoon of Cumin (Or more, depending on how spicy you want your soup.
    Pinch of ginger,
    Pinch of nutmeg.

    & I guess you could put a potato in it, but I didn't. I would use sweet potato though.

    yayy soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmm! I love that this week is becoming all about soup and exchanging soup recipes. We're like old ladies! Wasn't the other week about knitting patterns? Oh dear. Anyway, chicken soup recipe coming soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love soup. Never tried it with cheese on toast, might give it a whirl. Cheese scone is quite nice and that's quite easy to make.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always bookmarking soup recipes and I never end up making them but I shall with this one! Looks yum. Cheese on toast with it? Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Full disclosure: I have no idea what a parsnip is. At all. Don't judge hahha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...