lkj

25 October 2012

the best birthday gift


As I may have mentioned (several times), it was my 21st birthday on Saturday. I drove down on Friday afternoon after lectures with M, R and H, we drunk beer & cocktails wearing Masquerade masks and went to bed at 4 in the morning. So good. Once I've tracked down the rest of the party pictures I'll share them, because my cake was a masterpiece. Seriously. 

Saturday morning I spent a couple of hours with Mum & Kev before everyone else was awake & Mum sent me downstairs to retrieve a particular box. I think its the best present I've ever received - my Mum is seriously awesome. You see, this box was filled with 21 things, random, everyday objects. Everything had a label attached, and on each label she'd written sweet little comments or life advice...


A tube of glitter reminding me to sparkle & an elastic band stating that "Flexibility is the key"


A rubber with advice about mistakes, a bag of chocolate Magic Stars - "Because you are a star" & a tube of Starburst - "For the times you feel like you will 'burst' if you don't share something with me!"


A tube of glue & cotton wool - "To cushion the rough times ahead"


A lightbulb & an address tag - "So you will always find your way home"


Eye drops that remind of the importance of vision & a bag of Marbles - "To replace the ones you have lost"


Tealight candles & a bag of breakfast tea, because "Life's biggest problems, start with the smallest solutions"


A paperclip - "To hold things together, even when it seems everything is falling apart" & a sheet of sandpaper - "To remind you that life isn't always smooth"


A stone wrapped in ribbon with the caption: "You will never trip over a mountain. It is the small stones in your path that will cause you to stumble. Carefully step around these stones in your path and you will find that you have crossed the mountain"
& a particularly poignant photo with photography advice:  "There is only you and your camera, the limitations in your photography are yourself - for you are what you see"


A toothpick that reminds me to "Always pick out the good in everyone - including yourself" & a London Underground map - "The world is your oyster full of exciting people, places & cultures all waiting for you to discover them"


A Lego brick with wise words about dreams - "Dreams are built bit by bit, but there is no limit to their size - so dream BIG" & a lock and key with a Confucius quote  "The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential - these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence"


Have you ever seen a more thoughtful 21st birthday gift? I'm trying to come up with a really fun way to keep all the labels - some of them having writing on both sides so sticking them in a scrapbook isn't really an option. Any ideas?

What's the most thoughtful gift you've ever received? 

15 comments:

  1. What a lovely, thoughtful gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, HAPPY BIRTHDAY *hooray!*
    Second, sweetest birthday present ever!!
    Third, most thoughtful gift I ever received was a tiffany piccaso's peace dove necklace from Adam. Because he know's I've always wanted to get it as a tattoo but never could because I'm afraid of needles. And also probably because he doesn't want me to get a tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed. It's probably the MOST perfect gitf I've ever seen. I love little notes and small gifts, these two factors make it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a thoughtful, adorable gift! Definitely a cute idea to recreate, and it would be totally personalized to whoever you give it to! Love it!! Happy belated birthday, girly!
    xo Heather
    http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!! Hope you had a wonderful day. your gift it such a lovely one. How very creative of your mum. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw I love it!! Happy birthday! :) Your mums writing is so much like yours! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is absolutely adorable!!! I love it :) I also love your blog!

    Jen
    drawingsunderthetable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How thoughtful and clever! I might just borrow your mother's idea and do something similar for friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, that's a pretty amazing gift! What a wonderful and thoughtful idea :) I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That has to be one of the most amazing and thoughtful gifts. You have one special Mama. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very inspriational! Sometimes, mom's just know the perfect things to do for us :)
    Happy late birthday! I hope it was a good one
    --Erinn

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is an amazing and gorgeous gift. You mum is awesome :)
    xo Emilie @ Hungry Delights

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh this makes me want to cry a little bit! Best present ever! Happy belated birthday! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mom is the best. Seriously. I am so all about this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful idea! It really helps you appreciate the little things in life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...