lkj

03 August 2012

why I value my 'life' posts


I'm not really sure what my intentions where when I first started blogging. My first few posts weren't really that 'personal' - I grew up in a generation who had the dangers of the internet forced down our throats at every  possible opportunity. We were led to believe that the only people who could possible be interested in us were lying about who they were and were very possibly sexual predators. Now, please don't get me wrong - being taught to think like that was in no way a bad thing. Children should most definitely be taught about the dangers of the internet, but I also think its important to realise that a lot of the people who use the internet are just like you & me (unless you are a scary stalker person? In which case please leave. Thanks.).

Anyway, I digress... The point being, when I first started my blog I was incredibly wary of writing personal posts - it just seemed a little bit odd to put my life online like that. I decided to do it anyway. I'm still not a super-personal blogger, I'll never have pictures of family events or anything like that on here and I'm probably never going to document my personal style for the world to see. This may also be because I don't have any... Today though, I've been so glad that I made that decision.

A couple of months ago Photobox had an offer on for print credit, it was such a good deal that I brought credit for 300 prints. I love having actual, physical photographs around and it seemed like the perfect excuse to get a load printed off. Last week I got an email to remind me that the credit needed using up, so I put aside a few hours to trawl through my hard-drive and pick which ones I wanted. I already knew that I wanted to do a minibook of summer 2012 - totally inspired by Elise. She makes the most amazing minbooks, and they just seemed like such a great approach to scrapbooking and the perfect way to document my summer. I'm not sure how many photo's I ended up with for the book - but its a fair few and it was a really good excuse to get some of those 'everyday' pictures printed that you wouldn't really stick in a regular photo album.


This is what 300 photo's look like...
The photo's all arrived this morning, which was pretty impressive considering I ordered them at half 5 on Wednesday evening! I wanted to get started straight away but I'm really trying to get in the habit of finishing one project before starting something else. I'm the worlds best starter and a really lousy finisher,  I mean, I still haven't finished my album from when we went to Cuba last August. Which basically consisted of sticking photo's in a book and copying up my journal. Oops. I'm aiming to get it finished before mid-August... then it won't have taken me an entire year. So, before I even opened the box I made myself go out and finish staining the chair for my dressing table. Its looking pretty good, there's more varnish on the chair than there was on me so I'm deeming it a success. Also, by complete accident I've managed to stain it almost the exact same colour as the wood of my bed - so happy!  It still needs a little something though, maybe a cushion. I'm gonna have a rummage tomorrow and see if I've got any fabric that'll go so I can whip one up over the weekend. 

It's always so neat and organised before I start...

Command central. I couldn't decide what to watch... so I picked both. 

I spent the entire afternoon working on my very first minibook, the olympics on the tv and craft supplies absolutely everywhere. I'm not the worlds neatest scrapbooker by a long shot. A lot of the pictures I'm using I've used in blog posts (or I've used others from the same day) and it is so nice to be able to go back and read what I wrote about them at the time. All the little details that I wouldn't have remembered - they're all there and I've been popping them in with the journalling. It'st turning it into such a personal project, rather than just being a collection of photo's with some descriptive journalling next to them. I love it. Really love it and I'm really excited to get it finished. Its the sort of project I could keep up with at Uni (she says) because its so simple, its just pictures and accents. No complicated layouts. Embellishments are optional. Pretty much I've used paper, scissors, stitches and double sided tape. That's it. And if I don't manage to keep up? I'll have a back catalogue of blog posts with ready made journalling.

I'm really loving my scallop scissors right now.
Before I wrecked this with my handwriting it was actually pretty cute
So things might be a little bit different around here, there's probably going to be a lot more of the everyday stuff. I'm excited. On a side note, Charlotte also made the decision to turn her blog into more of a journal - you should visit her because she's awesome and hilarious. Seriously.

10 comments:

  1. I love that you had so many photos printed (I'm really bad at printing mine) and look forward to the everyday life posts. Also, thank you for referencing my blog! really made me smile xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing other bloggers post about the "everyday" stuff. It makes people so much easier to relate to and hold interest in. Growing up with a mom in law enforcement, I definitely got my fair share of the "everyone on the internet is a pervert" lectures. I think seeing bloggers open up and share parts of themselves helps prove not everyone online is a weirdo. This mini book idea is awesome! I love the simplicity of the layouts you shared.

    -Bronwyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great to get all those images printed! I think that in today's culture we've become content with seeing everything online, and pictures in an album somewhere on your desktop makes those memories feel so distant, at least to me. I one-millionx prefer a physical copy I can pick up, and what better way to personalize them with a mini-book! I'm sure yours will turn out great!

    xx, Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life posts are really quintessential--the heart and soul of a publication. Anyone can write an article. It takes a lot of courage to share pieces of who you are, but it takes courage and intelligence to choose which parts you want to include, how, and to what extent. In this entry, you suggest that, while you do not feel the need to tell us about those boundaries, you do not mind pointing out that they are there.

    I agree with you on the boundaries, actually. I don't feel comfortable talking about my family or sharing pictures of them because---well, that's their image, not mine alone. And, I don't like to drag them into my little world. Overall, though, I value your life posts because you do things so differently than I do and you introduce a whole different perspective that way. For instance, watching three things at once is unheard of in my world. I have ADHD but I have anxiety. How do you do that, you brilliant lady, you?!

    I like the idea of the the mini book. How's the quality of the paper and all that? I am so not tech-savvy. Also: you use a camera, not an iPhone/iPod/iThing for this project to work, hmm? I bet it'll be fun to do at uni, definitely and it'll keep you walking around. I did something similar with my iPod (took pictures of my campus) for a while. They are nowhere to be found now, but I discovered really neat places on campus.
    Oh man, I rambled again,
    (and rhymed!) Dina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss having photographs to put in albums!!! I need to make this a "winter project". I do have framed photos all over my house, but they are all older! Also, as far as being more personal on your blog, I think its great! I think most people want to get to know the actual blogger. One of the reasons I have so many personal posts, is for me. Like a journal. I want to be able to look back and remember a vacation or road trip. Life passes by way too fast to not take a lot of pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the EXACT same way, it took me forever to put myself out there and be transparent on my blog. Your honest life posts are my favorite kind :) Cute mini book too!

    xo Shane

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so crafty! By the way, I nominated you for an award -- http://dreamonlovely.blogspot.com/2012/08/i-got-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. A. This is awesome.
    B. I am dying over command central.
    C. I see some USA gymnasts there (USA! USA!)
    D. Sorry, I couldn't help myself hahah

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to print some photo's soon! I hate that I never do that! Shame on me! And I think I need a pair of scallops scissors too! :)

    Hope you've had a great summer and enjoy your weekend Vic!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - I love getting to know you guys and I really appreciate each and every note you leave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...